Friday, April 16, 2010

Habitat for Humanity

Over a month ago (sorry for the blog-slacking) I completed another task on my Thirty by Thirty List. I'll update ya'll on that later.
Freddy, Austin, Sara and I volunteered for Habitat for Humanity.
When we registered online the description read "landscaping". Yard work is not my strong point, but you can tell by their yard that Sara and Austin enjoy it.
Freddy commented that we would probably end up painting because he HATES painting and that would be his luck! I assured him that we would be landscaping because that is what the job description said.
When we got there, what do you think we were assigned? Painting! Apparently a group of high school students had finished the landscaping earlier that day.
The experience was fun,but also very humbling. Nearly every other volunteer there that day had helped with countless other houses. Just for fun. Just for the feel-good pay-off. I felt like such a slacker. Other than volunteering as a Big Sister (which ended recently), my volunteering is limited to registration at our Big Brothers and Big Sisters Galas, Taste of Fort Worth, Clay Shoots, etc. - all of which come with the added bonuses of free food and drink, pictures with my favorite radio personalities from The Ticket, auction items, etc.
I definitely want to do more volunteering. Get ready heart because I am about to bring on the feel-good pay-offs!
Here are some pictures of us at the house we helped to paint.










No comments: