Friday, May 23, 2008

Rootin' for a break-up

So, I didn't want to post about this until it was "official" because I didn't want to jinx it, but who knows when the long-awaited break-up of Jessica Simpson and Tony Romo will ever be official?!

I can't explain WHY I don't like them together, I just don't. Okay, maybe I can explain. You see, back in the day - summer 1997 to be somewhat exact - my friend Kambree introduced me to a band called 98 Degrees. She saw them perform at her cheerleading camp and insisted that I go with her to Six Flags the next weekend to watch their concert. Reluctantly, I went and sat amongst 30 or so 12-year-old girls (I was 17, remember). Before the concert even started, Kambree told me of her plans to rush the stage. I begged her to stay seated in our front row seats. She didn't. But neither did I. Thus began my love affair with 98 Degrees (Drew Lachey specifically).
I was excited when Jessica and 98 Degree-er Nick Lachey hooked up and later married. I was a faithful viewer of Newlyweds. But when their marriage ended, so did my tolerance for the dumb blond. I don't hate her. I don't. I just don't want her to date anyone I like. Since I like Tony Romo (not as much as I like Peyton Manning, though - that would be ridiculous!), I don't like Jessica and Tony together. At all.

And then there was the pink jersey incident. I like professional football (that's a bit of an understatement). I like pink (kinda), but I don't think that the two should mix except under one very special circumstance. Breast Cancer. Brett Favre's wife can wear a pink jersey until the cows come home and it would not bother me one bit! Other than that, let's not sissify the NFL with pink jerseys. I know my thinking here is a little anti-feminist, but I can't help it. Stick to the official team colors, people!

Jessica, I wanted to like you and Tony together. I really did. So, why did you have to ruin it by showing up in a pink Romo jersey? Why not blue, Jessica? Why not blue?!


Sure, Tony is a HORRIBLE singer, but I think that it is cute that he doesn't care.

I want Tony Romo to find himself a plain, ordinary, every-day Fort Worth girl. Yes, I realize that I did not say Dallas girl. I would prefer him to marry a Fort Worth girl, so shoot me.

Let's keep our fingers crossed that the rumors are true. I don't like wishing unhappiness on anyone. So rather than hope that Tony dumped Jessica and left her broken-hearted, let's hope that he "set her free to be with someone better-suited for her".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Cheryl, I found your blog through Sara's. I enjoy reading your blog because it reminds me a bit of home and Texas!

I used to like Jessica until she turned all dumb-blonde. I wish she'd drop the act!