Monday, October 20, 2008

What would you do?

Let’s pretend for a moment that, for whatever reason, you HAD to change jobs and your next job could not be the same job that you presently have – could not even be in the same field of work. For example, I could not do fundraising/events and I would have to leave non-profits all together. Nurses can’t be doctors (or anything medical) and teachers cannot be counselors or principals, etc.

Also, ignore the whole training and degree aspect of it. You could be WHATEVER you want.

What would you do?

I would be a sonogram technician in an ob/gyn’s office. Yes, I know that when I tried to guess my own baby's gender, I was wrong, BUT...to be fair, I didn't have any formal training and that umbilical cord can be deceiving.

I was watching The Bachelor a couple seasons ago and one of the Bachelorette's was a sonogram technician. Since then, I have always wanted to be one.

What a fun, low-stress job! Not to mention I wouldn't have to worry about what to wear to work – I would just throw on the designated scrubs for that day (to match everyone else in the office, of course – or is that only in the dental field that they all match?) and away I go.

Yes, I know it is not all happy times of “it’s a boy!” and taking pictures of babies, but I would still like this job very much, I think. In fact, if I could take classes somewhere at night, I would have already started.

So…what would you do? And none of this “I wouldn’t want to do anything else” business.

3 comments:

Sara said...

I would be a National Geographic photographer, if I didn't have two precious boys that I would miss when I was off on some insane shoot in Borneo... but I DO have two precious boys, so instead I would be a Caldicott Award winning illustrator of childrens books, and a part-time jewelry maker. shameless plug: http://www.goingcoastal.etsy.com

Courtney said...

Do these have to be jobs we might actually be good at, and thus might actually have a chance of getting, or can they be fantasy jobs too? Either way, in no particular order:

1. Elephant researcher
2. Photographer
3. Children's book author
4. Fit model
5. Travel writer
6. Sommelier
7. Independently wealthy American living in Paris
8. Pilates instructor
9. Small business owner (natural baby products)
10. Radio DJ
11. Ear, Nose, and Throat doctor (I think I have an unhealthy obsession with Nate's ears and nose, maybe because he has a lot of earwax and boogers!)
12. High School Philosophy/Psychology/Sociology teacher

Lauren said...

If I could do any other job, I would move to New York and become an actress on Broadway. When that didn't work out, I would stay up there and open up a childrens' theatre and be the producer and director of that! :)